Whither the Child? The iSchool Approach to Research Relating to Children and Adolescents

Dear Colleagues:

The iSchools have a broad vision of information, people, and technology, and they focus on critical information issues in society. But will this new vision continue to include research related to children and adolescents? How does the language around youth research (qualitative, digital, outcome-based, story, children’s culture, etc.) mesh with the language of "information"? Are there opportunities waiting to be discovered? Or have we left the children behind?

This alternative event will investigate how iSchools are approaching research in the area of children and adolescents. Participants will work together to tackle this overarching question: Where does youth research fit in to the iSchool movement?

Please consider taking part in this event. We welcome all faculty, graduate students, and practitioners interested in work with youth to come share your ideas with us.

Event information:

·         Conference: iConference 2013, Fort Worth, TX

·         Date: Wednesday, February 13

·         Time: 10:30 am-12:00 pm

·         Location: Pecos I

Organizers:

·         Leanne Bowler, University of Pittsburgh

·         Kate McDowell, University of Illinois

·         Denise Agosto, Drexel University

Denise E. Agosto, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
College of Information Science & Technology
Drexel University
3141 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, PA  19104