I can't make this, and have been sounding like a broken record on the topic
at ALISE for several years. The fact is we do not have reliable data about
placements. In fact we have damn near *no* data on the topic, which we
should have started collecting along about the time the Laura Bush money
started pouring in. Until we do have something resembling hard data we are
going to be doing a lot of dithering.

If, and I think that is a big if, the BLS has something resembling hard
data on professional jobs that *require *the MLS then we have a start. I am
by no means convinced that they do, particularly in the public library
arena, but am willing to be convinced. In many, many, PLs there is a really
blurry line between MLS required, and some combination of experience, a BA,
and maybe an MA in something at least vaguely related to libraryland. AMar
Mann needs to be questioned very closely on exactly how BLS parses out
their data.

Charley Seavey
Retired

--