Undergraduate Geography Majors,

Tomorrow and Wednesday, our department will be hosting Dr. Kelsey Scheitlin, a candidate for our open position in Physical Geography and Climatology. The final detailed interview schedule is attached to this email and a copy exists on the table in the workroom. Graduate students, you will be meeting with the candidate for a pizza lunch tomorrow from 12:00 to 1:30 in Room 406, arranged by Neil Conner. Dr. Scheitlin’s talk is at 3:40 tomorrow in Room 301 -- Graduate students, this is a 501 colloquium talk, please remember, and attendance is required. Undergraduate students, let me second the department’s invitation from our department head Derek Alderman to attend this talk! We want you to be a part of this search process!

Dr. Scheitlin is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences at Longwood University in Virginia. She received her B.S from Salisbury State University in 2005 (advised by Dr. Brent Skeeter), her M.S. from Mississippi State University in 2007 (advised by Drs. Grady Dixon and John Rodgers), and her Ph.D. from Florida State University in 2010 (advised by Dr. Jim Elsner). Her research focuses on analyses of spatio-temporal variability of extreme weather phenomena, including tropical cyclones (hurricanes) and tornadoes. The analyses include estimating probable pathways for hurricanes and developing hurricane “climatological tracks” for specific locales, and recently began leading REU-undergraduates on storm chasing adventures to evaluate population bias in reporting of severe storm activity, especially tornadoes. Dr. Scheitlin has 14 peer-reviewed publications in some of the top-ranked climate- and geography/geoscience-related journals, including Theoretical and Applied Climatology, Journal of Geophysical Research, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, Computers and Geosciences (all as lead author in these journals), and Southeastern Geographer (2 articles as co-author). She has performed considerable disciplinary and university service, serving as a reviewer for  several journals, co-organizing a summit on hurricanes and climate change in Greece, and serving as a member of the Center for Excellence in Environmental Education at Longwood University. The title of her talk tomorrow is "Spatial Interpolation of Hazardous Weather: Implications for Understanding Long-Term Climate Variability.”

Thank you all!

Henri D. Grissino-Mayer

Department of Geography

University of Tennessee