Dear Club Geogaphers:

Last week I attended a workshop hosted by the UT Police/Community Relations Unit on what to do in the event of an active shooter being on campus. Recent tragic events have reminded us that schools and colleges have been the target of shooters. We all hope that something like that does not happen at UT, but it is imperative that everyone be as prepared as possible to save lives.

The presentation by UT Police was quite eye-opening and informative. I would suggest that everyone take time to attend the full workshop the next time it is offered. If an active shooter is reported or encountered, law enforcement and emergency management authorities suggest the following: (1)Run, (2)Hide, and (3)Fight (only as a last resort). The university provides some helpful directions for carrying out each of these options in the safest way possible. Please read: http://safety.utk.edu/emergency-preparedness/active-shooter/

One of the most important things that all of us can do to improve response to an active shooter threat or any emergency is to sign up for UT Alert, a text messaging system designed to enhance and improve communication and keep the campus community informed. If your cell phone is not registered with UT Alert, please visit http://www.utk.edu/utalert/ to do so.

Thanks for your time,

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head