Geography Majors,

This spring semester, the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Science will once again be offering laboratory, research, and possibly field experience to select students in geography (usually juniors or seniors) through our Geography 494, Research Experience for Undergraduates course. The course is a 3-credit hour course, with very flexible hours, and you'll gain experience working on major research areas in the lab, part of the Department of Geography, located in the Science and Engineering Research Facility. ** These credit hours count towards the geography major! **

The students need only work 9 hours per week in the laboratory, helping on any of several research projects currently ongoing in the lab. These include working on any of several ongoing projects, including helping us process and date tree cores collected from a site in Chile in South America, process and assist measuring on cores collected from Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and help us begin processing cross sections of wood from El Malpais National Monument in New Mexico. The lab work ranges from working in the wood shop learning to precision sand these valuable samples, to measuring the widths of tree rings to 0.001 mm accuracy using state-of-the-art WinDendro software and hardware.

Although these are not currently paid positions, the students would be preferred choices for any paid positions that do come up in the laboratory in coming academic semesters (and this usually happens, just ask many of our seniors). To learn more about the lab, connect to: http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/ltrs/. To see the many undergraduate majors in our department who have worked in the lab, connect here and scroll down to the bottom: http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/ltrs/personnel.htm.

If you're interested, send me an email expressing your interest and I'll arrange to talk with you in the coming week or so.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Henri D. Grissino-Mayer

Department of Geography

University of Tennessee