Dear Geography undergrad students:

I have an opportunity available for a motivated, mature undergraduate student who is interested in doing a directed reading and fieldwork related to heritage tourism, southern antebellum plantation museums, and the politics of remembering slavery.

The experience, which would carry academic course credit, would involve a trip to the River Road plantation district near New Orleans (travel paid for) to survey and interview visitors to four plantation heritage tourism sites.  Students would work in a team along with students and faculty from University of Southern Mississippi, Texas tech University, Norfolk State University, and Louisiana State University. The dates of the fieldwork are March 26-31 (the spring break period) and these dates are pretty firm.

If you have an interest in this, please stop by and seen me (room 304C of BGB) or email ([log in to unmask]).  This is the second semester that this opportunity has been made available.  This past fall, Erik Schmidt (one of our undergraduate majors) did fieldwork on the River Road, resulting in a poster presentation for the SEDAAG meeting in Asheville.  I am happy to include students as collaborators on the work.

Thanks for your time.

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head