From: HIGHERED-L [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Suzanne Wechsler
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [HIGHERED-L] NSF REU in Geospatial Research and Mapping (GRAM) Summer 2013

Dear Colleagues: Please encourage your talented undergraduate students to apply to our NSF-funded REU. The summer 2013 program will take place in Long Beach CA (1 week) and on Oahu, HI (3 weeks). Please refer students to our REU website (http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cla/departments/geography/nsf-reu/) and forward the information below. Our application deadline has been extended to March 1st 2013.

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance in spreading the word about this opportunity.

Sincerely,

Suzanne

_________________________________
Suzanne P. Wechsler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

Department of Geography

California State University Long Beach (CSULB)

National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates -- Geospatial Research and Mapping (GRAM) – Application Deadline March 1st 2013.

http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cla/departments/geography/nsf-reu/

Geography and Archaeology undergraduates, as well as others interested in the study of landscapes, may be interested in our summer 2013 field program on geospatial research and mapping (GRAM) that will take place at both California State University Long Beach and at the famous* Kualoa Ranch in the picturesque
Ka'a'awa valley on the north shore of O'ahu.

This field research program is a joint effort between faculty in the Department of Geography and Anthropology at CSULB and is focused on the use of cutting edge geospatial techniques (e.g., satellite and aerial imagery, the use of UAVs, geographic information systems, spectral analyses, topography generation, landscape analyses, and near surface remote sensing).   The research being undertaken by GRAM includes the study of prehistoric landscapes as well as contemporary resources and environments.

Our website (http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cla/departments/geography/nsf-reu/) describes the overall program and include the research of last year's students, the application form and additional program information. This is the second year of our 3 year project funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) under their Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program.

This year's GRAM project will take place June 2 to June 30 and include training in Long Beach and on Oahu. The NSF-REU program provides funding for student to cover travel, housing, tuition costs as well as a small stipend. Applications are competitive and open to undergraduates across the country.

Note that students must be enrolled as undergraduates in order to meet the requirements of the REU program -- graduated seniors are not eligible per NSF rules

* The site of the field work is famously known as the location of the filming for Lost, Jurassic Park, among other TV shows and films.

-- HIGHERED-L is an ESRI email listserv.