iSchool MS(LIS) Student Hoang Tran Awarded First Knower Fund Fellowship

The iSchool, College of Information Science and Technology, Drexel University,  congratulates MS(LIS) student Hoang Tran, the first recipient of the Knower Fund Fellowship who was awarded based on his practicum experience this fall 2012 term at University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library Archives and Special Collections and The Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center.

“The Knower Fund was created to encourage library science students in the Philadelphia area to consider career opportunities in special librarianship. Every year the Fund sends one or more officers of the [Drexel University] SLA student chapter to the annual SLA Conference and Expo,” says Tim Siftar, SLA Philadelphia Knower Chair and Drexel’s Liaison Librarian for the iSchool. “This year we have also added a ‘fellowship’—essentially one stipend each term for a Drexel iSchool student doing a volunteer practicum in a local special library setting.”

The award was formally announced at a December 4 banquet hosted by the Philadelphia Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA). Tran, upon successful completion of this fall term’s practicum requirements, will receive $1,000 from the Fund.

“Being the first iSchool student to be awarded the Knower Fund Fellowship caught me by surprise,” says Tran. “I know this award will be an invaluable asset to the start of my career as an archivist. I am truly grateful for the award because it shows that my hard work and dedication in the field of library science has been recognized by the library community.”

But Tran recalls his initial difficulty when he first began his practicum at the Biddle Law Library in early summer of this year. “My first few days at Biddle felt like I was thrown into the deep end,” he says. By aptly applying the knowledge and skills that he had gained through his iSchool classes, Tran felt at ease navigating the field. “By the end of the internship, I had gained professional insight that has reinforced my enthusiasm for the career.”

When his Biddle practicum concluded, Tran’s supervisor encouraged him to apply for another internship in the fall term. Knowing that getting a head start on building his professional experience would be “pivotal” after graduation, Tran states, he decided to apply to The Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center where he was soon accepted. Tran feels fortunate to have been accepted to two internships within the same term, and at two distinct institutions. “The experience has shown me that special collections and archives are indeed unique. I was able to see first-hand some of the challenges that librarians and archivists face and be a part of a community that is truly passionate about their career.”

The Philadelphia SLA chapter established the Beverly M. Knower Fund in 1978 in memory of a member who served in many capacities, including a term as president. The Fund was intended to reflect her abiding interest in encouraging students to consider careers in special libraries. It is used to support student-related activities, by developing interest in careers in special libraries and acquainting students with the benefits of participation in SLA. Funds for the Knower Committee awards come from ongoing contributions by SLA Philadelphia Chapter members through individual donations to the endowment, and donations and proceeds raised through various auctions and benefits hosted by the Chapter.

For more information about the Knower Fellowship, please visit: http://philadelphia.sla.org/the-beverly-m-knower-fund/knower-fellowship/.