Opinion: Practicing networking while in school

From the series Pragmatic Ideals

KAYLA GRAHAM, COLUMNIST

Mon Dec 03, 2012

"Not having a profile on (LinkedIn) is, for some employers, not only a major liability, but a sign that the candidate is horribly out of touch," (NPR, 2009).

College teaches you how to study for a test the night before and how not to have your car towed. Internships, conferences and professional networking opportunities provide us with real-world, practical experience to prepare for life after college. I recently attended the Society for Technical Communication's Practical Conference on Communication (PCOC), which was not only a great networking opportunity but a source of career success tips for students and experienced professionals.

Anne Scott, Training Program Developer for Sodexo and speaker at the conference, spoke on the importance of social media for career success. An important part of her presentation was a discussion on LinkedIn and its value to employers in today's market. I was so impressed with Anne's presentation that I attacked LinkedIn, adding everyone I knew (or didn't know but wanted to know) and updating my profile.

Anne emphasized the importance of online networking, saying, "To get the most out of LinkedIn, look beyond just creating your profile. Actively build and maintain your professional network. Seek out and participate in discussion groups for your profession. View company profiles and follow companies in your industry to gather more information. There is so much more to LinkedIn than an online resume." Learning how to utilize a professional networking site to further our careers is exactly the kind of growth we should look for during our time at UT. Seek out daily opportunities to learn, write, think, engage and grow.

At some point before graduation, we must begin to think seriously about our futures. You may find yourself asking questions about what to do next, how to succeed, and where to start. UT provides many resources for career building and character growth, but some of the most important opportunities are ones we create for ourselves. Expanding your social and professional networks has become our generation's most essential skill for success after college.

If a high score on "Draw Something" is more important than improving your skills and knowledge base, reevaluate your priorities. If tweeting #BigOrangeScrew is more important than learning new software to add to your resume, reevaluate your priorities. If going to Tin Roof on Thursday night is more important than staying up all night to finish a project, reevaluate your priorities. Remember, if you have an idea, proposal or skill that tops the competition sitting next to you in the interview room, you get a job offer. If not, it's back home to the parents. So, where to begin?

Figuring out how to create your network can be the hardest part of the process. If we learn how to use the resources at our fingertips, we can create a personal brand for ourselves, network with experienced professionals and develop the skills we need for our dream jobs. LinkedIn created a professional network to connect CEOs, accountants, students, doctors and stay-at-home moms with each other around the globe. Anyone can join for free or pay for premium access, both of which give you the opportunity to connect to professionals in your desired or current field of work. LinkedIn not only provides opportunities to network with professionals, but also offers groups designed to connect you with discussion boards and company profiles, updates, and stock information.

Fail. Fail again. Fail better. Spend your time wisely. Learn. Seek wisdom. Walking across the stage in Thompson-Boling will be here sooner than you think.

— Kayla Graham is a senior in English literature and Taylor Presley is a senior in communications. Kayla can be reached at [log in to unmask] and Taylor can be reached at [log in to unmask]