Dear Geography Students:

We have had some unexpected good fortune.  We have been able to add an extra course to the spring 2013 Geography offerings.

Please consider taking GEOG 363: Geography of the American South, which will meet Mondays, 11:15am-2:15pm.

The course is a special addition to our regular rotation of classes because of the instructor.  Aretina Hamilton of the University of Kentucky and a recognized scholar on the South has graciously agreed to join us for the semester.

Ms. Hamilton is a native of Louisville, Kentucky. She received her Bachelor’s of Arts from Kentucky State University and her Masters in Arts from the University of Delaware’s School of Urban Affairs and Public Policy.

She also holds a Graduate Certificate in Gender and Women's Studies from the University of Kentucky and studies how black women use performances of race, class and sexuality to present a counter narrative to mainstream images of femininity.  Her dissertation examines the African American experience in  Atlanta, Georgia.

Best wishes,

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head

Department of Geography