The wikipedia page on library education seems like an obvious place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_for_librarianship

It's not particularly well written, but has a decent bibliography and points to several other good bibliographies.  My understanding is that the masters degree was part of a movement to professionalize librarianship into a formal profession.  It occurred at a similar time as other fields were also instituting educational regimes for professionalization (nursing, teaching, etc).

-l