Dear friends,

We hope that you are having a smooth transition from fall to winter, especially those of you in areas badly affected by Hurricane Sandy. We were able to escape the worst of it, but have been thinking often of our friends in NY, NJ and CT and other affected areas. Best wishes to all of you for a speedy recovery.

With the job market high on everyone's list of concerns, we are happy to bring good news: Simmons Graduates Placed #1 in Job Placements in  from the most recent Library Journal Placements and Salary Survey. Please see http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/news/2012.php#news6054 for more details.

Congratulations are also in order to Assistant Professor Naresh Agarwal. Naresh was named the winner of the ASIS&T James M. Cretsos Leadership Award for 2012. Naresh accepted the award at last month's ASIS&T Annual Meeting in Baltimore. For the full story, please see: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/news/2012.php#news6004

Simmons GSLIS is please to announce that Dr. John Unsworth, Vice-Provost for Library and Technology Services and Chief Information Officer at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA, has been named the Allen Smith Visiting Scholar for 2012-2013. For more information, please see: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/news/2012.php#news6143

OTHER SIMMONS GSLIS NEWS:

* Professor Jeannette Bastian gave an invited lecture at the Department of Library and Information Studies, University of the West Indies, Jamaica, entitled, "The Convergence of Cultural Heritage: Practical Experiments and Lessons Learned" on Oct. 3, 2012. Bastian also gave a presentation entitled, "The Convergence of Cultural Heritage: Practical Experiments and Lessons Learned," at the Memory of the World Conference in Vancouver, British Columbia with Senior Lecturer Ross Harvey on September 26, 2012.

* Associate Professor Gerry Benoit gave an invited talk about the "Impact of Computers" to the International Conservators Association on October 29 at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.

* Assistant Professor Joel Blanco-Rivera and Archives/History dual degree student Erin Faulder presented at the Fall meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC) in Richmond, VA on October 27. The panel was about Archivists Without Borders, an international non-governmental organization that focuses on archival advocacy and human rights.

* Adjunct Professor Donia Conn has contributed chapter 1 to ALA's recently published book, Planning and Constructing Book and Paper Conservation Laboratories: A Guidebook.

OCTOBER INFOLINK
Our October InfoLink is available for download at: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/publications/infolink/index.php

Table of Contents:

Best wishes to everyone and a Happy Thanksgiving (in advance) to all!

Best,
Jen

Jennifer Doyle '98LS
Director of GSLIS Curriculum and Communications
Simmons College
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115
www.simmons.edu/gslis