---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:19:15 -0500
From: Blanche Woolls <[log in to unmask]>

This conversation returns me to my early years in LS education when the
course "Education for Librarianship" was ably taught by Margaret Rufsvold
who had converted her BLS to an MLS and was presiding over my alma mater at
Indiana, both a school and an iSchool yet today or Haynes McMullen
(Graduate of the University of Chicago) who was the historian who taught me
that you should never try to write a biography about anyone who was not
dead enough. I'll be happy to discusss that definition with anyone another
time. The interesting thing was that the BLS was after the BA degree. I
hope this matches the information in the annals of history. Keith's book
should be easy to get a copy and check.

We learned that persons who were going to work as librarians needed to have
as much undergraduate education as possible to be well educated in the
liberal arts before entering the noble profession of librarianship. We
learned all about Mr. Dewey and his establishing library schools directed
by able women which seemed to turn the profession into one that was less
frequented by males even though they usually held the prime positions and
made the most money then and sometimes yet today.
What has always fascinated me was the basic education my father received.
He left high school after two years to take a job away from the farm where
his two older brothers were working. In his two years of high school, he
had read all of Shakespeare's plays while students today muddle through
Romeo and Juliet one year and occasionally are offered Hamlet. I have the
feeling he could have managed a libraryafer a very good apprenticeship.

Blanche Woolls, AB, MA, PhD
Director and Professor Emerita, San Jose State University
Professor Emerita, University of Pittsburgh