Knoxville, TN

Date: Sunday, December 9, 2012.

Location: Ayres Hall (Mathematics building), 4th floor, room: 405.

map of Ayres Hall

local contact: Fernando Schwartz

Schedule:

  • 7:30-8:30 Posters, breakfast, registration.
  • 8:30-9:30 Davi Maximo (Austin)
  • 9:45-10:45 Ailana Fraser (UBC)
  • 10:45-11:15 Coffee break
  • 11:15-12:15 John Pardon (Stanford)
  • 12:15-1:45 Lunch
  • 1:45-2:45 Christine Breiner (Columbia)
  • 3:00-4:00 Marcelo Disconzi (Vanderbilt)
  • 4:00-6:00 Snacks

  • Abstracts

    Christine Breiner, Columbia

    "Gluing constructions for embedded constant mean curvature surfaces."

    Constant mean curvature (CMC) surfaces are critical points to the area functional with an enclosed volume constraint. Classic examples include the round sphere and a one parameter family of rotationally invariant surfaces discovered by Delaunay. In this talk I outline the gluing method we develop that produces a large class of new examples of embedded CMC surfaces of finite topology. We refine the method first developed by Kapouleas in 1990, that produced immersed examples, using fundamental ideas he later introduced to construct a larger class of immersed examples. I will explain the essential aspects of our proof and outline some of the new examples we can produce. Finally, I will mention aspects of the proof we must alter to adapt the method to higher dimensions. This work is joint with Nicos Kapouleas.

    Marcelo Disconzi, Vanderbilt

    "On the Einstein equations for relativistic fluids."

    The Einstein equations have been a source of many interesting problems in Physics, Analysis and Geometry. Despite the great deal of work which has been devoted to them, with many success stories, several important questions remain open. One of the them is a satisfactory theory of isolated systems, such as stars, both from a perspective of the time development of the space-time, as well as from the point of view of the geometry induced on a space-like three surface. This talk will focus on the former situation. More specifically, we shall discuss relativistic fluids with and without viscosity, and prove a well-posedness result for the Cauchy problem. The viscous case, in particular, is of significant interest in light of recent developments in Astrophysics.

    Ailana Fraser, University of British Columbia

    TBA

    Davi Maximo, UT Austin

    "On the blow-up of four-dimensional Ricci flow singularities."

    In 2002, Feldman, Ilmanen, and Knopf constructed the first example of a non-trivial (i.e. non-constant curvature) complete non-compact shrinking soliton, and conjectured that it models a Ricci flow singularity forming on a closed four-manifold. In this talk, we confirm their conjecture and, as a consequence, show that limits of blow-ups of Ricci flow singularities on closed four-dimensional manifolds do not necessarily have non-negative Ricci curvature.

    John Pardon, Stanford

    "Totally disconnected groups (not) acting on three-manifolds."

    Hilbert's Fifth Problem asks whether every topological group which is a manifold is in
    fact a (smooth!) Lie group; this was solved in the affirmative by Gleason and Montgomery--Zippin. A stronger conjecture is that a locally compact topological group which acts faithfully on a manifold must be a Lie group. This is the Hilbert--Smith Conjecture, which in full generality is still wide open. It is known, however (as a corollary to the work of Gleason and Montgomery--Zippin) that it suffices to rule out the case of the additive group of $p$-adic integers acting faithfully on a manifold. I will present a solution in dimension three. The proof uses tools from low-dimensional topology, for example incompressible surfaces, minimal surfaces, and a property of the mapping class group.

    * Emory University
    * Georgia Institute of Technology
    * University of Alabama at Birmingham
    * University of Tennessee Knoxville

    Organizers:

    * John McCuan and Mohammad Ghomi (GIT)
    * Junfang Li and Gilbert Weinstein (UAB)
    * Vladimir Oliker (Emory)
    * Fernando Schwartz (UTK)

    --
    Fernando Schwartz
    Assistant Professor

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- This message was sent to you via the Geometry List, which announces conferences in geometry and closely related areas to over 1200 mathematicians worldwide.

    At http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/geometry.html there are many functions available, including checking the archives since November 2005, changing your e-mail address or preferences, and joining/leaving the list. If you have problems that cannot be resolved at this website, send a message to [log in to unmask]

    Before sending an announcement, please carefully read the following. Any announcements that are *not* about conferences (e.g. those about jobs, journals, books, etc.) will be rejected by the moderator without comment. To announce a geometry or closely related conference, send the announcement (including a conference web site if possible) to [log in to unmask] The moderator cannot edit your message; list members will receive the announcement as an e-mail from you EXACTLY as you submitted it. For example, if your submission starts with "Please post this on the geometry list" then your conference announcement will also begin with that statement. In order to keep down the volume of e-mail, only TWO announcements per conference will be approved by the moderator. The "subject" of your message should include the name of the conference and the number (first or second) of the announcement, e.g. Gauss Memorial Lectures in Geometry: Second Announcement. Please check that your announcement (especially the website) is correct. Corrections will be approved only in the most critical situations, e.g. if corrected information is not available on the website. If you send a submission from an e-mail address that is not subscribed to the geometry list then you will be sent an e-mail asking for confirmation. This feature is designed to thwart the hundreds of machine-generated spam that are sent to the list and would otherwise have to be manually blocked by the moderator.

    The Geometry List is sponsored and maintained by the Mathematics Department, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.