Hi Nicholas,

One of the more challenging aspects of certain modes of freight transportation--and I would cite urban rail--is the complexity of their relationship with industrial land use, manufacturing systems and logistics technology, and the capacity for strategic public/private partnerships in a given regional context.

Los Angeles is but one of many cities that have great reservoirs of under-used industrial land left over from the WW1 era that actually have strong locational attributes--close to global port resources, continental rail connections, major freeway corridors--all of which might conceivably contribute to significant reductions in less-productive ton-miles and freeway usage generally.  But these precincts are stranded in their present state by a host of factors, some of which I could include--

> lack of interest from the Class I rail industry sector in continuing to innovate in systems and technology that would allow more penetration into urban manufacturing and terminal hub operations;
> the decades long cycle of decline--hopefully now about to reset--in the attention given to American manufacturing sector;
> the "perception lag" in both manufacturing and in logistics sectors that is still largely grounded in assumptions over-use of cheap land on the ex-urban periphery, an over-use of (now increasingly limited) freeway and inter-state capacity, and assumptions centering on use of lots of less-skilled labor on the suburban edge relying exclusively on SOV personal transportation;
> a broad lack of public sector capacity to redevelopment, re-assemble and re-package obsolete urban industrial precincts--and, most particularly, equitably engage in the various incumbent stakeholders and communities of interests;
> imperfectly perceived or appreciated opportunities in locating employment sites near urban concentrations of increasingly diverse (sometimes highly skilled) labor--and the utility of public transit access in supporting an employer's commute shed.
> the lack of particular acumen and advocacy from the industrial realty and real estate development sector focused on urban site opportunities; and
> the lack of applied analysis and innovation on the part of industrial manufacturing and logistics users on achieving long-term efficiency payoffs through better trade-offs in more intense use of better located urban sites and reduced (over) use of increasingly constrained highway resources.

So I would like to see if we could reach out to some of the more thoughtful, cutting edge actors in the industrial land development and high technology manufacturing sectors to see where there might be opportunities to start a dialogue.  Unfortunately I don't have contacts to suggest myself.  Perhaps there might be staff at EDA in the Department of Commerce that could advise--.

Regards,

Jeff Carpenter, AICP

(formerly with the Community Redevelopment Agency of the City of Los Angeles)