UBC iSchool to Host Dr. Julienne Molineaux

The School of Library, Archival and Information Studies, the iSchool at University of British Columbia, is pleased to announce Julienne Molineaux , lecturer at the Auckland University of Technology, will be the guest speaker at the first of our Fall 2012 Colloquium Series.

Dr. Molineaux will present her talk, “Library and Archives Canada, Ten Years After the Merger,” on Wednesday, October 3, 12-1 p.m., in the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre at UBC.

She completed her PhD in 2009, on machinery of government reforms for New Zealand’s official archives.  She continues to research government reforms in archives, focusing her study on archives policy in both Canada and New Zealand.

Student Defends Thesis on ABC Books

We are pleased to announce that Lara LeMoal has successfully defended her Master of Arts in Children’s Literature thesis,  “Rendering the Visible World: A Critical Examination of Internationalization, Representation, Order, and Naming in a Selection of Contemporary Metafictive Alphabet Picturebooks.” Her thesis committee members were Professor Theresa Rogers of the Department of Language and Literacy Education in the UBC Faculty of Education, and Professor Judith Saltman of the iSchool, who also supervised Lara’s thesis.

Professor Judith Saltman Featured in Vancouver Sun Article

Professor Judith Saltman, who chairs the UBC iSchool’s Master of Arts in Children’s Literature program, provides her perspective on why popular titles like Hunger Games and Harry Potter resonate with teen readers. “We have a hunger in us, and children who are non-readers still have the same hunger – which is we’re hardwired for narrative,” she told The Vancouver Sun for an article examining the value of popular series fiction for teens. Professor Saltman notes popularity and film adaptions can serve to spark an interest in reluctant readers, but can also serve to spur family member to read together. Click here to read the full article.

Please share with your communities as appropriate.

Michelle

--

Michelle Mallette MLIS

Student Services Coordinator | School of Library, Archival & Information Studies

The iSchool at The University of British Columbia | Irving K. Barber Learning Centre

470 – 1961 East Mall, Vancouver BC Canada V6T 1Z1

e: [log in to unmask]  | t: 604.822.2461 (direct) | skype: mmallette.ubc

www.slais.ubc.ca  | www.facebook.com/UBC.iSchool | @ubcischool

Applying to SLAIS? Join our virtual admissions open house.