Registration for this program closes in only for a few weeks, or sooner, if the trip fills, so if you are interested, act now.

International Opportunities in Information Studies: Bangalore, India; Mysore, India.

This Winter 2012 Study Abroad Program was a huge success.  The enrollment for that Program was kept at 12 and many wanted to join later could not be accommodated.

Responding to the demand, another Study Abroad Program in 2013 (from 01/04-13 to 01/18/2013) for India has been developed.   Once again, the enrollment cap is kept at 12. Enroll early to avoid any disappointments later.

Consult website:

https://myea.umd.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10254

Winter Term 2013 :   From 01/04/2013- To 01/18/2013.
Admissions for the program are made on a rolling basis, and applications will not be reviewed until they are complete. Early application is advisable.

What's the scoop?
This program travels to Bangalore and Mysore cities in Karnataka State, India for 12 days. Bangalore is the leading outsourcing center in the world for software companies. Mysore is the scenic beauty where the rulers (kings) developed the city as the most beautiful one in the state. Participants will visit academic and research institutions, and software companies, with opportunities to interact with students, faculty, staff, and information professionals. As an added attraction, visits to sites of cultural significance (like Mysore Palace, Chamundi Hills, KR Sagar and other notable sites) will facilitate our exploration of how tacit knowledge is applied in oral societies.

What course will I take?
LBSC 729 (3 credit hours) International Opportunities in Information Studies: India

Where will I stay?
In Bangalore, our host XIME, one of the advanced business entrepreneurship graduate schools, will make arrangements for our accommodations, meals and travel. In Mysore, our host International
Institute of Information Management will make arrangements for our accommodations, meals and travel. All rooms (double occupancy) at XIME and at the hotel in Mysore have private baths and
internet access.

Study Tour Facilitator
Prof. Taverekere (Kanti) Srikantaiah, had a distinguished career at the World Bank where he headed varied and important assignments in the areas of information and knowledge management at the
Bank's headquarters in Washington DC as well as at several of the World Bank's
field offices in Africa and Asia. He was also the director and senior professor at the Center for Knowledge Management at Dominican University in Chicago. Currently, he is a visiting professor in the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland. His area of specialization includes Systems Analysis, Organization of Information, Management of Information Repositories, Environmental Scanning, Information Audit, Project Management and Knowledge Management.

What are the costs?

$2595 excluding airfare
Included: UMD tuition, UMD $250 Education Abroad fee, lodging, most meals, and travel within the country.
Not included: personal expenses, some meals, trip insurance, international airfare, passport and visa expenses.

Syllabus available upon request: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mary Carroll-Mason
Communications Coordinator
College of Information Studies, Maryland's iSchool
University of Maryland
4105J Hornbake Building
College Park, MD 20742
(301) 405-1260