CFP – Call for Papers

2013 ALISE Youth Services SIG Panel

The Beauty of Subversion: Asking the Difficult Questions in Research, Teaching, and Practice.

Proposals Due: October 10, 2012

Co-Chairs: Anna L. Nielsen (Boston College and UIUC GSLIS LEEP) and Sarah Park (St. Catherine University)

The 2013 ALISE conference theme is “Always the Beautiful Question: Inquiry Supporting Teaching, Research, and Professional Practice.” In the Youth Services SIG Panel we will demonstrate how asking challenging questions can bridge the tensions between “beauty” and “subversion,” and in fact be productive for theoretical, pedagogical and practical purposes. We consider this particularly in light of how beauty and subversion are conventionally considered in youth services: first, beauty is often discussed regarding the aesthetics of, for example, picture book illustrations or storytelling; and second, subversion is discussed as it regards to youth behavior or social movements. We hope to extend our questions in and beyond such understandings of beauty and subversion by showcasing panelists whose innovative research, teaching, and practice have produced or are producing change in libraries and information institutions. We aim to lend truth to the idea that inquiry is itself a beautiful process, that literacy and learning is an art, and that the research, teaching, and practice of youth services are art forms. This panel will work to subvert ideas of beauty beyond aesthetics to scholastic action in youth services, particularly into areas that are difficult and controversial, or at least difficult about which to openly discuss. Suggestions are intentionally broad, and may include questions of race, religion, class, sex, gender, intellectual freedom, media literacy, digital and traditional youth citizenship, and technological habits and innovations.

Six to eight panelists may be accepted. Each panelist is expected to submit ONE PowerPoint slide to display during the panel, and consent to having abstracts distributed to the audience and posted on the ALISE Youth Services SIG website. Panelists must register for ALISE and give presentations in person.

Please submit a brief 150-word abstract and abbreviated 2-page CV by October 10, 2012 to [log in to unmask] .You must include your institution, position, and contact information in your proposal. Notices of acceptance will be sent by October 15, 2012.