Dear Geography Graduate and Undergraduate Students:

I wanted to bring your attention to a course I will beoffering in Africana Studies this spring:  AFST 480: African Americans in Urban America.  The course will meet MWF-2:30-3:20 and examines African American communities through the lens of urban systems.  The overarching goal of the course is to get students to recognize the diversity that exists within the African Americancommunity.  Consequently one of our focuses will be on the ways  local, state and national institutions have internalized discrimination in the application of urban policies and practices as it relates to Black people in the United States.  In addition, we will focus on the response African Americans have towards racism in American society and in an urban context most specifically.  Thus aspects of this course will focus on the emancipatory potential black urban spaces hold forformulating 21st Century  political identity or identities that address continued economic and social exploitation.  Consequently, we will focus upon understanding and explaining some of the historical political, cultural, physical and economic relationships that form the basis for understanding urban, African Americanpopulations.

If you have questions please don't hesitate to stop by my office.

Cheers,

JI

Joshua Inwood, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor Geography and Africana Studies.

Department of Geography
Burchfiel Geography Building Room 304

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Martin Luther King Jr.