Greetings All –

Ron Foresta and I are planning to do some camping and hiking in the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area during Fall Break and you are invited to join us.

Big South Fork is a big chunk of land northwest of Knoxville that straddles Tennessee and Kentucky.   http://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm

It is a relatively underutilized park that is a haven for hikers, mountain bikers, whitewater paddlers and horseback riders.  It is chock full of canyons, natural arches and other natural beauties.  If those aren’t your cups of tea, there are several historic sites close by like the Blue Heron Mining Community and Historic Rugby.

http://www.nps.gov/biso/historyculture/blueheron.htm

http://www.historicrugby.org/

We will be camping at Bandy Creek Campground in Big South Fork.

http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/bandycreekcampground.htm

Here is our tentative itinerary that can be modified based on the number and make-up of participants or you are welcome to go off and do your own thing.

Thursday, October 11

Meet after lunch at the Park HQ for an easy afternoon hike to some beauty spots.

Camp that night.

Friday, October 12

Meet around 9:00am to carpool to a trailhead for an all-day hike.

Camp that night.

Saturday, October 13

Break camp and meet around 10:00am for whatever suits our fancy.

Please do not respond to this email.  Contact Kurt directly at [log in to unmask] if you are interested.  I will make an email list of those interested and send out more specifics as the date approaches.

Thanks –

Kurt and Ron