To Geography Majors and Minors:

I am offering a course in qualitative methods in Spring 2013 (Mondays 5:05-7:45 pm). It is a 3-credit course and it is open to advanced undergraduate students. The course can count toward your Geography Major or Minor - I can advise you how it can fulfill one of your course requirements for the major or minor. This is what the course is about:

How do teenagers use public space? How do immigrants define “home?” And what does the Rock on campus mean to UT students? These are questions that cannot be answered with quantitative data; geographers and other social scientists use qualitative methods such as interviews, surveys, and participant observation to investigate the meanings and operation of social phenomena.

This course provides an in-depth introduction to qualitative methods in geography, focusing on qualitative research design, “doing” qualitative research, and interpreting and communicating results. Students will design a qualitative research study and conduct short fieldwork assignments to become familiar with various field methods. Classes consist of lectures, group discussions, and peer feedback on research design.

If you are interested in taking this course, please contact me at [log in to unmask]

Best,
Dr. van Riemsdijk

Micheline van Riemsdijk
Assistant Professor