Dear Geography Undergrad Students:

I am offering a "Topics in Cultural Geography" class in the spring (2013) that will focus on Geographic Images.  The quick elevator description is: "Course explores social and cultural images of space, place, and environment as produced and consumed through various media."  See announcement below that provides more detail, including a list of topics, methods, and expectations for the course.

Please note that while it is a 500 level course and will be populated with grad students, undergrads are welcome to sign up and the course has no pre-requisites or assumptions about what you should know.  Undergrads will have different expectations (and in some instances, different assignments) from grad students.

You might want to check out other 500 level courses in the Department.  Some of these courses, like mine, might be open to you based on the permission of the instructor.  If you have questions about Geographic Images, feel free to email or come by my office (which is in the main office).

Thanks for your time,

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head

Department of Geography

University of Tennessee

303 Burchfiel Geography Building

Knoxville, TN 37796-0925

Voice: (865) 974-0406

Email: [log in to unmask]

http://web.utk.edu/~utkgeog/

****

Course for Spring 2013!

Thurs, 5:05-7:45pm

Topics in Cultural Geography:

Geographic Images

(GEOG 521)

Geographic images shape our thoughts and actions—from personal decisions of where to live to larger debates over international development. We learn about the world through a variety of cultural products: maps, television, film, advertising, newspapers, textbooks, novels, music, and even humor. This course examines how social actors and groups perceive and represent places, spaces, regions, and landscapes. An emphasis is placed on understanding the social and material consequences of these patterns of perception and representation as well as the complex nature of sense of place and place identity. Methodologically, students will gain experience in content/discourse analysis, auto-photography, and interviewing.

Topics include:

 The Politics of Brochures and Destination Marketing

 Film/TV-induced Tourism

 Mental/Cognitive Maps, Topophobia, and Topophilia

 Soundscapes and Place in Popular Music

 Hollywood, Bollywood, and Film Geographies

 The Power of News Narratives

 The Language of Maps/Why all Maps Lie

 The Myths and Realities of Disaster Films

 Internet as Electronic Folklore

 Place-Naming as Image/Identity Construction

 Stand-Up Comedians as Social/Geographic Mediators

Course consists of active class discussion, critical analysis of readings, and hands-on class projects, and multi-media engagement.

No Prerequisites. Nothing assumed. All students welcome

For further information: Dr. Derek Alderman, 974-0406, [log in to unmask]