The WSU National Digital Stewardship Alliance (NDSA) student group presented their Proof of Concept Public Service Announcement on Digital Fragility at the Digital Preservation 2012 annual meeting in Washington, DC last week. This is the first in a series of four educational videos that aim to improve the public’s knowledge of what they can do to preserve data stored digitally.

The group began a Kickstarter campaign to raise the funds to professionally produce all four PSAs. Faculty Advisor, Kim Schroeder said, “The Outreach Committee at the NDSA has been tremendous at encouraging student participation and growth. Since we know that this is an expanding field, we want to be sure that our students get as much exposure to digital tools, migration and preservation as possible. The student group allows students to develop their research ideas, while working with the greater NDSA allows more opportunities for students to hear from international experts in the field. Another aspect of success has been tapping into our distance students. Almost all of our work accommodates distance students as well as our field trips and lectures.”

Information about the Digital Preservation 2012 annual meeting can be found at http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/meetings/ndiipp12.html.

Stephen T. Bajjaly
Associate Dean and Director
Wayne State University