Dear Club Geography Members:

It is the first day of classes today.  Welcome back to UTK Geography!

I know that you are busy settling in, but please allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Derek Alderman.  I am the new Head of the Department of Geography, joining Univ. of Tenn.  after working in North Carolina at East Carolina University for over 12 years.

I am excited about being part of the UTK Geography program.  In addition to serving as Dept. Head, I am a Professor and plan to teach courses in Human Geography, in the areas of cultural, historical, and tourism geographies.  My work has covered a lot of ground in terms of the American South--from civil rights memorials to NASCAR. (http://utk.academia.edu/DerekAlderman).

My office is in the Geography main office (304 Burchfiel).  I have an open door policy and invite to come by and introduce yourself or if you have need or concern.  As you probably already know, our Dept. is devoted to helping you succeed--intellectually, personally, and vocationally.  We have a great undergrad coordinator in Dr. Ron Kalafsky, who advises along a great team composed of Drs. Micheline van Riemsdijk and Ben Shultz.  In addition, Dr. Josh Inwood is helping advise the Club and our local GTU (Gamma Theta Upsilon ) honor society chapter.  Being a member of an honor society is a great thing to have on one's resume.  If you are interested in perhaps being inducted in GTU, let Dr. Inwood know.  All pf these folks are always here to help you.

One final thing.  On Sept. 13 (Thursday) at 3:40pm, the Dept will host a meeting for undergraduate Geography majors and minors as part of a meet and greet (I will be there), information sharing, and question and answer.  That meeting will be in room 301 of Burchfiel Geography Building.

Best of luck with the semester and thanks for your time.

Dr. Alderman

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head

Department of Geography