The Catholic University of America has announced that Dr. L.R. Poos, Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, has accepted appointment as Interim Dean of CUA's School of Library and Information Science.  Dr. Poos replaces Dr. Ingrid Hsieh-Yee, who served as Interim Dean for the past two and a half years.  We want to express our warmest appreciation to Dr. Hsieh-Yee for her hard work and dedication during this time, and welcome her back to the ranks of full-time faculty in the School.
Dean Poos has asked Dr. Bill Kules to serve as Associate Dean for Research and Administration, and Dr. Youngok Choi to serve as Associate Dean for Academic Programs, in the School. Drs. Choi and Kules have been faculty members at SLIS since 2006 and both recently received appointment with continuous tenure and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor.
We also want to announce that CUA's provost has proposed we begin a process of considering the transition of Library and Information Science to the status of a Department within our School of Arts and Sciences.  Like any other significant structural change to academic units at the university, this will follow procedures specified in CUA's Faculty Handbook, which include the requirement of widespread consultation with those affected, and consideration in light of the university's academic goals and mission.  We believe that there are potentially very significant prospects for collaboration between Library and Information Science and other programs currently within Arts and Sciences, and will also facilitate the institution of a curriculum in information science for our undergraduates, which is an initiative the School has planned for some time.
For more information, contact: 202-319-5085 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>