Apologies for duplicate postings.

The Graduate School of Library and Information Science at Illinois is pleased to offer a new online non-credit course on Genealogical Research and Library Service.

Course description:  This course covers the basics of family history research, which is a very specialized field.  We will examine sources used for family history research, both print and online, as well as methods of assessing, compiling, and presenting information extracted from the sources. You will learn about a variety of sources including home sources, government documents at the local, state and federal levels, and non-governmental records, such as church records, city directories, local histories, and newspapers.  We will also cover how to organize and store research, and how to share it. Finally, we will discuss the major providers of genealogical information in the U.S. and strategies for providing good service.

Intended audience: This course is open to all individuals interested in genealogical research and is recommended for librarians and information professionals providing service to others undertaking genealogical research.

Dates: September 4 – October 9, 2012
Times: Live online synchronous sessions will be held on the following Tuesdays: September 4, September 11, and October from 7:00-8:00 p.m. central time. Asynchronous sessions will be conducted September 18, September 25, and October 2, with recorded presentations and discussions during the week.
Instructor:  Nicole Wedemeyer Miller
Cost: $300

For additional details and to register,
https://www.lis.illinois.edu/academics/programs/cpd/genealogy

Marianne Steadley
Director, Continuing Professional Development
501 E. Daniel Street, Champaign, IL 61820
217-244-2751
Fax 217-244-3202