Students, Faculty & Alums,

Wrap up the summer with an information adventure! On July 26  through 29, the SIS van will journey to Arkansas to visit four interesting information environments: the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art (CBMAA), the Bentonville Public Library (hosted by Director Hadi Dudley, an SIS alum!), the University of Arkansas Fayetteville Special Collections, and the William J. Clinton Presidential Library.

Visiting special information environments like these on an SIS-arranged trip, can add a valuable dimension to your graduate studies. Plus…it will be a lot of fun!  Please look over the details below. If you want to be a part of the Arkansas Invasion, email me soon, as space is limited  and spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. In your response, include the info about where along the route you need to be picked up from, and for participants based in Arkansas, whether you want to ride the van or drive yourself.  If driving separately, please let me know which of the events (or all) you will be participating in.  PLEASE RESPOND BY THURS JULY 12, 5PM to [log in to unmask]

Here are the links to the websites of the points of interest:

Crystal Bridges Museum: http://crystalbridges.org/ .

Bentonville Public Library: http://www.bentonvillelibrary.org/ .

U of Arkansas Special Collections: http://libinfo.uark.edu/SpecialCollections/ .

William J. Clinton Presidential Library & Museum:  www.clintonlibrary.gov<http://www.clintonlibrary.gov/> .

The trip begins in Knoxville, but students or alums from other areas  can also participate, by meeting the van along the way, and riding along. If you live east of Knoxville, you will need to arrive at UT by 1pm on the 26th, for the 2pm departure.  The van will also pick up passengers in Nashville and Memphis and as needed in Arkansas (along the I-40 and I-540 route).   Chattanooga-area participants can choose to come to Knoxville or Nashville to catch the van. Participants who live in Arkansas can also choose to drive their own vehicles and join us at one or more of the  location(s).  For anyone who wants to ride the van after the Knoxville departure,  we will make arrangements to  pick you up at a convenient location right off the interstates. See the itinerary below for which days participants from each area need to join in.

General Itinerary:

Thursday, 7/26: Van leaves Knoxville approx. 2pm, pick up Nashville-area  participants, dinner on road between Nashville & Memphis.  Stay in hotel near Memphis.

Friday, 7/27: Leave Memphis hotel 8am, pick up Memphis area participants (and later Little Rock & other Arkansas participants on way), drive to Bentonville, AR, arrive 2-3 pm.  See CBMAA (including dinner at museum restaurant, hosted by SIS); open until 9pm. Hotel in Bentonville.

Saturday, 7/28: Visit Bentonville Public Library in morning.  Drive to Fayetteville to see University of Arkansas Fayetteville Library/Special Collections.  Late afternoon: drive to Little Rock, dinner &  hotel in Little Rock.

Sunday, 7/29: Free time morning, then visit Clinton Library 1-4 pm, and head back to Knoxville. Dinner on road  near Memphis, drop offs at Memphis & Nashville, return to Knoxville about 1:30 am.

Cost for participating:

SIS is paying the cost of the van & its fuel, and the dinner at the CBMAA restaurant. Participants are responsible for cost of hotels, other meals, and admission to the two destinations with entry fees (Clinton: reg $7, students $5;  CBMAA: $5 for traveling exhibit, general admission free).  Hotels will be in the $80-$100 range per night; if you would like to share a room, let me know and I will try to find you a roommate.

--
Karen J. "Kitty" McClanahan, Ph.D.
Assistant to the Director, Lecturer

To join/leave the list or browse the ISALUMNI archives, please see:
http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/isalumni.html