@COE for the week of July 20 2012

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View it in your browser.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

[log in to unmask]" alt="@COE newsletter of the UT College of Engineering" width="600" height="205" border="0" style="display:block">

For the week of July 20, 2012

@COE is published on a weekly basis throughout most of the academic year. It will be published every other week through August, when the fall semester begins. Please send submissions for to Randall Brown in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on Thursdays.

Solar Secure
Solar Secure SunStation

Solar Secure SunStation

A new Solar Secure SunStation was unveiled on July 12 on the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, campus. UT is the first university in the country to house one of these multi-functional structures. It sits outside of Perkins Hall and Ferris Hall on the Hill.

The SunStation is a solar-powered, wireless structure that provides a self-sufficient power and communications source for Emergency Assistance Stations, video surveillance, LED lighting, and Wi-Fi.

Read more about the SunsStation >>

FACULTY NEWS

Dr. Carl Lundin
Dr. Carl Lundin

Dr. Lundin presents lecture

Professor Carl Lundin, Materials Science  and Engineering, presented the invited introductory lecture (Houdremont Lecture) at the annual meeting of the International Institute of Welding, July 7-13, 2012, in Denver.  The lecture was entitled "Materials and Welding Considerations for Determination of Continued Operation 'Run-Repair/Refurbishment-Replacement' for Life Extension."

Read more about the IIW>>

Dr. Michael Berry

Dr. Berry teaches Study Abroad

Professor Michael Berry traveled to England in June to lead his COSC 482 study-abroad class in London and Cambridge. Along with studies, Berry and class took in British culture and sights, including a taste of the Silver Jubilee celebration for Queen Elizabeth and a visit to the 2012 Olympic facilities. The class toured the London Science Museum for a look at an exhibit on computer pioneer Alan Turing. They also visited the Royal Institution, which houses the original laboratory of electricity and magnetism pioneer Michael Farady.

Read more about study abroad >>

EVENTS

Living Light in DC

Living Light moves from DC to Chattanooga

Living Light, UT’s solar-powered house was seen by an estimated one million people and toured by nearly 16,000 during the Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., earlier this month.
Read more >>

The Living Light house will be open July 20-29, 2012, in Chattanooga for its final tour stop in Tennessee. The house is located in front of Renaissance Park on the corner of Cherokee Boulevard and Manufacturers Road.
Visit the Living Light tour site for more information >>

OUTREACH NEWS

2012 study abroad class

Alysse Ness in the UK and Belgium

Alysse Ness, a junior in Aerospace Engineering, is studying abroad in Belgium this summer. She kicks off her travel and study blog with a report on an excursion to Scotland.
Read Alysse's blog >>

STUDENT OPPORTUNITY

Educational Advancement Program has seats available for Math 125

The UT Educational Advancement Program has space available for eligible students for a Fall 2012 Math 125 class that will meet 2:30 p.m.-3:20 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Tutorial assistance is available, plus weekly course monitoring and program study-skills support. For information on the course, contact Celeste Brooks at [log in to unmask] or via phone at 865-850-1960. To see eligibility requirements, visit http://web.utk.edu/~eap.

Scholarships available for Reliability and Maintainability studies

The Society for Maintenance and Reliability Professionals (SMRP) offers scholarships for the 2012-2013 school year. Deadline for application is Aug. 15, 2012, for both the Dorothy and Jack Nicholas Scholarship and the SMRP Higher Standards Scholarship. For information on the scholarships, visit the SMRP website. For information on the UT Reliability and Maintainability Center, visit www.rmc.utk.edu.

VolsTeach

What else can you do with your major? You can now receive your degree and a secondary education teaching license with VolsTeach. The VolsTeach program is available to Math and Science majors who wish to expand their career options by earning a secondary education teaching license. Given the current economy VolsTeach offers one degree with two career paths which will make you more competitive in the future job market.

    VolsTeach provides:
  • early and frequent field experiences
  • personal guidance by Master Teachers and program advisors
  • the opportunity to have paid exclusive internships during regular and summer terms
  • a comfortable learning environment that will further enhance your professional skill set

VolsTeachThis is your opportunity to be a part of the program. VolsTeach is open to freshmen, sophomores and juniors who are ready to start a journey that will give them a chance to connect with the community. Become a part of this exciting venture by signing up for the Fall Step 1 course now.
Click on the flyer at right for registration information.
For more information contact VolsTeach Coach, Jada Johnson at [log in to unmask] or visit the program's Facebook page, VolsTeach, for current events, and the program's website, http://volsteach.utk.edu.

Engineering Professional Practice

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s Facebook page, following the program on Twitter, visiting its website at www.coop.utk.edu or calling 865-974-5323.

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask], 865-974-5323 or 310 Perkins Hall.

Featured co-op student: John Burkell Berg

EPP Co-op studentOur student this week is John Berg, a mechanical engineering major who accepted a co-op at Walt Disney World Resorts located in Orlando, Fla.

"I worked with the Walt Disney World Resort engineering, specifically Facilities and Operations Services, a large umbrella that holds all of the different engineering departments," Berg explained. "I specifically worked with Business Integration and Planning (BIP) who does the logistics for Engineering Services (ES) who are the maintenance crews for the parks and resorts. Within BIP I worked for Materials and Inventory Management. Our team was responsible for the implementation of bench stock (storerooms) across the resort. My primary duties were to help with every step of implementation.

"The purpose of our project was to tell ES what they had in there warehouse, where it was, and how many they had. The second semester of my internship had me working on training. We noticed inconsistencies in our process across the property. So I went around and learned every step of our process and what how it affected others. Then I created training documents for all the process to sustain our project. We have received much positive feedback from our work. This eventually led to the creation of a SharePoint site that stored all of our documents that were globally available. My third semester was my project lead time. Because I had learned every step of our process and documented it, I was given the responsibility of leading a team to implement the Grand Floridian and Polynesian Resorts. While I faced some challenges along the way I had a lot of fun."

John found that the most valuable benefit he received during his co-op assignment was work experience.

"I know what real engineers do in the field and I look forward to working out there," he said.

Students may read more about their peers’ co-op experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu, clicking “Resource Library” (on the left margin) and selecting “Students at Work – In Their Own Words.”
For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact [log in to unmask]
or 865-974-5323.

CONTACT US
Office of Engineering Communications
207 Perkins Hall | Knoxville, TN 37996-0184
E-mail: Send submissions for @COE to Randall Brown, [log in to unmask]
Phone: 865-974-0533 | Fax: 865-946-2560
Big Orange. Big Ideas.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html