Please do not reply to this message. Thank You. To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

This iPhone app was written for green industry professionals but thought MGs might like to explore it as well.
Congratulations to Dr. Amy Fultuer and her team!

From: <Fulcher>, Amy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, May 21, 2012 1:30 PM

Subject: Mobile App for Landscape and Nursery Professionals

Hi all,
An iPhone, iPad, and Android app for the Green Industry, IPMPro, was just launched!  My sincere appreciation the co-developers who made it possible.  Please check out the app and share this with your state's Green Industry and students.  Our industry focus group says we hit the mark – we hope you'll think so too!  My sincere appreciation the co-developers who made it possible-see the whole group at the bottom.
Thank you,
Amy

News and Information from the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture

Contact: Dr. Amy Fulcher, UTIA Plant Scientist, 865-974-7152, [log in to unmask]

For Immediate Release
May 21, 2012

First Mobile App for Landscape and Nursery Professionals Developed by a Team of Plant and Pest Experts from Seven Major Universities

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Green Industry professionals often find themselves in the field needing immediate access to pest and plant disease information and plant care recommendations. Or, they need to be alerted when destructive pests emerge in their area. Thanks to a collaborative effort of horticulturists, entomologists and plant pathologists at seven land-grant universities, now there's an app for that.

The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture together with North Carolina State University, University of Georgia, University of Kentucky, University of Maryland and Virginia Polytechnic Institute have developed the first Integrated Pest Management mobile app for nursery growers, landscapers, arborists, Extension agents and students that includes the major horticultural practices and disease and insect recommendations.

IPMPro will streamline pest management decision-making, employee training, and will make complying with state pesticide recordkeeping regulations easy. The mobile app is available for iPhone, iPad, and Android.

Built by horticulture and pest management experts in cooperation with growers and landscapers, IPMPro was built for USDA Plant Hardiness Zones four through eight, which include 22 states from west of the Mississippi River, east and north to Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and south to the Gulf Coast.

“Nursery and landscape professionals conduct business on the go; they truly have a mobile office – often their truck,” explained Amy Fulcher, lead developer and University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture plant scientist. “IPMPro dramatically simplifies day-to-day plant care and pest control decision-making in the field.  It provides a library of information in the convenience of an app, and features real-time alerts to help professionals stay on top of emerging pests and timely plant care.”

IPMProis like having an expert in the field with the user to:

        Receive text-like alerts for time-sensitive pest issues and plant care - alert date adjusted to location

        Consult images, pest lifecycle, and management options for major pests of woody plants

        Reference how-to information and images of cultural practices

        Obtain pesticide recommendations for major diseases and insects

        Utilize built-in pesticide recordkeeping for documentation while outdoors

        Track pests and cultural practices in calendar view or a chronological list

        Assist in educating new employees and experienced professionals

John Watson, with Common Grounds Landscape Management in Knoxville, Tennessee, got an early introduction to the IPM app. “My first thought was, ‘Where have you been?’ Most of the time we get so busy putting out fires we forget that the best thing we could do is prevent fires,” he explained. “This is just the kind of thing the industry needs. Now we have the best opportunity to head off pest issues that can wreak havoc for nursery and landscape professionals and for homeowners.”

This is the first application of its kind developed in the United States, and it was made possible through funding by the UT Institute of Agriculture through its Extension and AgResearch units and in cooperation with the University of Tennessee Research Foundation. For less than a subscription for non-interactive tools like books and magazines that professionals currently use, IPMPro is $24.99 and is available through Apple and Android marketplaces. For more information on the application, visit http://www.IPMProApp.com.

Coming soon for homeowners - IPMLite.

###

The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture provides instruction, research and public service through the UT College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, the UT College of Veterinary Medicine, UT AgResearch, including its system of 10 research and education centers, and UT Extension offices in every county in the state.

###

For more information visit http://www.IPMProApp.com

Members of the development team may be contacted and include:

Tennessee (Lead Institution)

Amy Fulcher (Lead Developer)

University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, Department of Plant Sciences

Phone (865) 974-7152

Frank Hale

The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, Soil, Plant and Pest Center

Phone (615) 835-4571

William Klingeman

The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, Department of Plant Sciences
Phone (865) 974-7324

Alan Windham

The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, Soil, Plant and Pest Center

Phone (615) 835-4572

Georgia

Kris Braman

The University of Georgia, Department of Entomology
Phone: (770) 228-7236

Matthew Chappell

The University of Georgia, Horticulture Department

Phone (706) 542-9044

Jean Williams-Woodward (Lead Plant Pathology Developer)

The University of Georgia, Department of Plant Pathology

Phone: (706) 542-9140

Kentucky

Winston Dunwell

UK Research & Education Center
Phone: (270) 365-7541 x 209

Maryland

Stanton Gill

University of Maryland, Central Maryland UME

Phone (301) 596-9413

Karen Rane

University of Maryland Plant Diagnostic

Phone (301) 405-1611

North Carolina

Craig Adkins

North Carolina State University, Agricultural Resource Center

Phone (828) 757-1290

Steven Frank

North Carolina State University, Department of Entomology

Phone (919) 515-8880

Anthony LeBude

Horticultural Science

Mountain Horticultural Crops Research and Extension Center (MHCREC)

Phone (828) 684.3562

Joe Neal

North Carolina State University, Department of Horticultural Science
Phone: 919.515.9379

South Carolina

Juang-Horng (J.C.) Chong (Lead Entomology Developer)
Pee Dee Research and Education Center
Phone (843) 662-3526 ext. 224

Sarah White (Lead Horticulture Developer)

Clemson University, Department of Horticulture

Phone (864) 656-7433

Virginia

Jeff Derr

Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Hampton Roads Ag. Res. and Ext. Center
Phone: (757) 363-3912

###

Text and photo available for download:
http://www.agriculture.utk.edu/news/releases/2012/05-IPMproApp.html

###

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Did your email address change? Visit http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html Remove your old email and add your new email address to continue receiving timely updates. Have you visited the Master Gardener Store? https://web.dii.utk.edu/agstore/c-49-master-gardener.aspx Check out the super comfortable Gardener's Kneeling Pads! To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html