Hi, Gretchen,
Glad to see the list back in action.
We mostly don't have the problem with DVDs, but lots of our patrons watch
You-tube a lot. We have recessed monitors with adjustable hoods, so if a
patron is watching a racy video, the only way someone else can see it is by
trying really hard - they have to stand right behind the patron and watch
over his/her shoulder, at which point patrons feel free to tell the snoop
to go away. We have separate, filtered computers for teens and children,
where the problem doesn't arise in the first place.
However, since a patron only has an hour a day on the internet, they mostly
don't waste their time allotments by watching DVDs when they can go do that
at home in comfort, or even at the homeless shelters.
Good luck!
Lynne

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Gretchen Garcia - LIBRARY <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Reviving the old LibNT list! ;) For those of you who have deployed Windows
> 7 to the public desktop, what are you doing about Win7 being able to play
> DVD’s natively? We don’t allow DVD’s to be watched on public computers
> currently due to patron complains regarding R movies / racy movie scenes
> where children could possibly view the screen but we don’t see a way to
> kill this off short of either 1) disabling the DVD drive 2) disabling
> Windows Media Player. Neither which seem like good options to us…. ****
>
> ** **
>
> So what do you do? Allow the movies to be able to play and deal with the
> problem customers as they arise? Kill access to one or the other? Found
> some 3rd party toy that disables it for you? ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for your input! ;)****
>
> ** **