Wow, I hadn’t seen anyone on this for a long time.

I am currently testing NComputing (L300) zero client using LPTOne (works great) and PCReservation.  NComputing works OK using WinServer2003 R2 Enterprise (32bit).  There are some minor issues that I am still trying to resolve.

On WinServer2008 R2 (64bit) there is an issue with the way the VSpace software handles the naming of the profile/Zero Client which makes it unusable (my opinion) because I couldn’t get it to keep the Equipment Records in PCRes.  NComputing was very helpful and know about this issue AND a fix should be out with the next release.  As it stands today, Server2008 – PCRes – Vspace don’t work together (my opinion only, don’t you just hate lawyers!).

I’m currently installing WinServer 2003 R2 32bit and will downgrade the L300 to older firmware to test it again.  I should have this done by tomorrow.

The only major issue I had when I tested this setup before is that the USB ports were not recognized, but in all fairness, I was using L300 firmware that was compatible with Server2008.

The NComputing is a real promising way to replace and expand our current public lab.  We will have a total of about 50 public computers and I don’t want to have to touch each one for updates.

Also, Feronics has DeepFreeze Server which locks down the entire server!  J

There are other options but this looks like the best (for us anyway).  I just hope the next release of VSpace comes soon.

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Bob

Bob Lewis

Technology Coordinator

Clarksville-Montgomery County Public Library

350 Pageant Lane, Suite 501

Clarksville, TN 37040

www.clarksville.org

Ph: 931-648-8826 ext 61405