From: "Gretchen Garcia - LIBRARY" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:35:37 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [LIBNT-L] Windows 7 & DVD playing

Reviving the old LibNT list! ;) For those of you who have deployed Windows 7 to the public desktop, what are you doing about Win7 being able to play DVD’s natively? We don’t allow DVD’s to be watched on public computers currently due to patron complains regarding R movies / racy movie scenes where children could possibly view the screen but we don’t see a way to kill this off short of either 1) disabling the DVD drive 2) disabling Windows Media Player. Neither which seem like good options to us….

So what do you do? Allow the movies to be able to play and deal with the problem customers as they arise? Kill access to one or the other? Found some 3 rd party toy that disables it for you?

Thanks for your input! ;)

Thanks,

Gretchen Garcia

MCLD IT Services