Hello Chad; we use a combination of AD & Policies. We lock our workstations to restrict access to all but the applications (MS Word, Open Office, Firefox, IE, etc).  Additionally we do not allow writing files to the pc (including the desktop).  Patrons must save to a USB device, print, or email their content to save it.  We have not found it necessary to go to the extreme of using products such as Deep Freeze.  We do have an IT Staff member that spends a fair amount of time developing and continually grooming over our policies to keep up with new software versions, OS upgrades, etc.  We are currently using both NT and Windows 7.

I know in the current climate of open access this may come across as very militant and restrictive - however it is necessary to protect or technology investment and to keep our equipment running and usable from patron to patron.

NB; we also use Citrix Imaging Server at some locations which delivers the entire workstation in RAM only.  This is the perfect way to create a bullet proof environment but comes with higher administrative costs.

Regards;
-peter-

Peter Brandt
Information Technology Division Head
Palm Beach County Library System
3650 Summit Boulevard | West Palm Beach, FL, 33406
Library (Main Number): +1.561.233.2600
Direct line:+1.561.233.2752 | Fax +1.561.688.9819

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.  Some e-mail may contain library information which is confidential pursuant to Florida Statute 257.261 and exempt from disclosure under the public records law 119.01.