I work with mostly single-branch libraries with less than 30 public computers. I also custom build all of the computers that go into the libraries. What we've found is that the DVD-ROM drives in the public computers almost never get used. So...I simply stopped putting them in the computers. Instead, we keep one or two external USB drives at the reference or circ desk and make it available for in-house check out to any patron that might need it. The library saves $20-$30 or so per computer plus a miniscule reduction on the annual electric bill as a feel-good bonus. I started suggesting this about two years ago and haven't had any complaints sent back my way yet.

It doesn't necessarily address your particular problem...but it's what my library clients have been doing.
Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools