GRC:

Please see Dr. Yumi Unes inquiry below, and respond to her directly if you have information.  She believes that recent outbreaks of ranavirus in Japan may be a result of imported, captive Dendrobatids from the Netherlands.  For those in the Netherlands or Europe, can you send the known cases of ranavirus infection or disease in the Netherlands to Dr. Une?  Has ranavirus been documented in captive dendrobatids in Europe?  I am aware of one published case of ranaviral disease in a captive dendrobatid (Miller et al. 2008) but it was not from Europe.

Best--- Matt

From: 宇根有美 [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 8:13 PM
To: Gray, Matt
Subject: Re: Rana virus infection in Dendrobates

Dear Dr. Gray.

There is no wild Dendrobatidae in Japan.

I think that source of infection is the imported Dendrobatidae from Netherlands.

Therefor, I think that ranavirus infection endemic in some Dendrobatidaes  breeding farms of Netherlands.

Dutch breeders have recommended the treatment of chytrid fungus to Japanese breeders.

Yes, I want you to send my inquiry to the Global Ranavirus Consortium listserv.

Yumi Une