Dear colleagues,

We are very excited to invite you to participate in the fifth annual minority doctoral recruitment event at the 2012 ALA Annual Conference co-sponsored by the ALA Office for Diversity and the University of Washington iSchool entitled “Leaders Wanted:  Is an LIS Doctoral Program Right for You?”

About This Session

Cultivating a diverse workforce is of great importance, but representation of librarians of color in LIS education, research, and executive-level administration is paramount.

A panel of leaders in LIS, including faculty, current doctoral students and recent graduates, will address various aspects of the PhD process. The panel presentation will be followed by an Options Fair that gives attendees the chance to discuss opportunities and funding with doctoral students and faculty from PhD programs across the country. Our goal is for representation from every American school offering a doctorate in library and information science. Please help us make that happen by affirming that your school will be represented at this important event.

Venue:  ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim (room TBA)

Date/time:  Saturday, June 23, 2010, 10-30-12:00

Schedule:  10:30am-11:00am   Panel on Doctoral Education

                            Panel participants: TBA (we will send the names as soon as they are lined up)

                    11:00am-12:00pm   Options Fair:  PhD program representatives meet one-on-one with prospective doctoral students

Participation

We would like you to be a part of this unique national recruitment event by:

*  Preparing one PowerPoint slide highlighting your school and its doctoral program.  We plan to display these slides during the options fair. If you would like help preparing the slide, please let us know. If you want to use your slide from last year, please let us know.

*  Promoting the program and options fair to all of your masters students.

*  Staffing a table during the options fair to answer questions about your doctoral program.  (The UW iSchool table is usually staffed by our dean, faculty members, doctoral students, and our director of graduate minority recruitment and retention).

*  Supporting one doctoral student to attend the event and help staff your table during the Options Fair.

Action Items

By May 21:  Please reply to Allyson Carlyle at [log in to unmask] to let us know if your institution will be participating and, if you know at this point, the name of point person(s) who will be attending. Also, please let us know if you would like to change your contact information.

If you would like to see the PowerPoint slide you sent last year, please let me know and I will forward it to you.

By June 11:  Please submit your PowerPoint slide to me at [log in to unmask].

We look forward to hearing that you will join us for this important event!

Gwendolyn Prellwitz

Assistant Director Spectrum and Related Grants

Office for Diversity & Spectrum

American Library Association

50 E. Huron St.

Chicago, IL 60611

800.545.2433 ext 5048

Allyson Carlyle, Associate Professor

Information School

University of Washington

Seattle, WA 98195-2840 [log in to unmask]

206.543.1887

http://ischool.uw.edu