Print

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:25:17 -0400
From: Laval Hunsucker <[log in to unmask]>
To: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum <[log in to unmask]>

In _Nature_ 478.7369 (on p.321) Chris Lintott concludes his
review of Michael Nielsen's _Reinventing discovery : the new
era of networked science_ (Princeton University Press, 2011)
with the comments that the author "convinces us that radical
change is a real possibility", and that this book "will frame
serious discussion and inspire wild, disruptive ideas for the
next decade."

Nielsen foresees a new scenario for creative scientific work,
and for determining scientific success and recognition -- one in
which, for example, the traditional system of scientific journal
publication does not ( to put it mildly ) play a decisive role.

I was just curious whether anyone on this list who has read
Nielsen's book might have any comments on what such a
scenario may entail for the way in which library and information
professionals will ( have to ) be educated and trained for their
future careers.† [ If indeed there will even still be a place for such
professionals, if only active scientists will be aware of what is
actually going on. ]† Can we look forward to "wild, disruptive
ideas" ( from LIS schools ) for adapting research librarianship
and information services for a radically new environment ?

Or is Nielsen ( himself a physicist / computer scientist ) just a
daydreamer, and Lintott ( an astrophysicist ) too naÔvely
credulous ?

- Laval Hunsucker
† Breukelen, Nederland