Applications are invited for a one-year temporary ten-month position of
Assistant Professor of Library and Information Science in the MLIS
Program at Valdosta State University. Responsibilities include teaching
graduate courses, research, and service to the Department, University,
profession, and community. More information about the Program is
available at http://www.valdosta.edu/mlis/.

The VSU MLIS program offers those joining the faculty an opportunity to
make a difference in the quality of library services in Georgia and
beyond. VSU was an early adopter of distance education among Georgia
universities, and the MLIS faculty are early adopters of new teaching
technologies on our campus. We enjoy a temperate climate and Southern
hospitality. Valdosta is served by a regional airport and is within a
two-hour drive of Jacksonville and Tallahassee, Florida. The student
body numbers about 14,000 of which 2000 are graduate students. For more
information about the University visit http://www.valdosta.edu. For more
information about the community visit http://www.valdostachamber.com/.

The primary focus of the program is to educate librarians for academic,
public, and special libraries in Georgia. The student body is dispersed
across the state. Faculty are heavily involved in distance education,
including Web-based teaching. Effective communication with non-resident
students is expected.

Required Qualifications:

1. Completed doctorate by appointment date in LIS or a related field.

2. Teaching interest and research specialization in one of our four
major program areas: Technical Knowledge, Administration, Services in
the Knowledge Society, and Resources for Clients.

3. Commitment to distance education, including Web-based teaching.

Preferred Qualifications:

1. Experience with Web-based teaching and face-to-face teaching.

2. Professional experience in information visualization

3. Teaching experience in computer-human interaction

Review of applications will begin on April 15 and continue until
appointment is made. VSU is an equal opportunity educational
institution. Applicants should submit a letter of interest, VSU faculty
application form
http://www.valdosta.edu/academic/documents/Faculty_Employment_APP.pdf,
curriculum vitae, and the names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of
three references. VSU online application is required.

All material should be sent to:

Dr. Wallace Koehler, Professor and Director

MLIS Program

Valdosta State University

1500 N Patterson St -- Odum 4630

Valdosta, GA 31698-0133

Email Submission: [log in to unmask]

Phone: 229-333-5966

Fax: 229-259-5055

--
Wallace Koehler, PhD
Director/Professor

"I ain't no physicisk, but I knows what matters." Popeye the Sailor Man (aka Robin Williams, 1980)