From: "McKay, Larry D" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:33:41 -0500
To: "Lee, Jaehoon" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>, Carol Harden <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>, "Penumadu, Dayakar (Dp)" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Undergrad internship opportunity in shale weathering/soils/hydrology

Hi Folks

Please send this to your undergrads.

Larry McKay

From: McKay, Larry D
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 10:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]'
Cc: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]'

Hi Folks

I’m looking for a geology/ES/soil science/Civil Eng undergrad, preferably a junior who’s already had a course in strat/sed, soils or hydrology, to work on our shale weathering/soils/hydrology project. The project is funded by an NSF REU through Penn State. The student must be available from mid-May to mid-August and would participate in the following activities:

- one week of training (starting in May/2012) on bedrock weathering and soil properties at the Penn State Shale Hills Critical Zone Observatory
- 1-2 weeks working at a soil/shale research site near Anchorage, Alaska. This will include hiking and several extended overnight stays in rugged back country and typically foul weather (cold rain).
- 1 week work at Penn State
- 4-6 weeks working at the UT Little River Dairy Farm soil/shale hydrology and water quality

There is a stipend (I don’t know the exact amount) for the Penn State/Alaska portion of the summer and they would pay your travel. For the portion at UT, the student would be paid on an hourly basis. Larry McKay would be the supervisor for the student’s work at the UT Little River Dairy Farm. This could also lead to a for-credit directed studies research project course (Geol 493) in the fall or a senior thesis. Interested students should send a short CV, with lists of courses taken, grades, names of references and list of prior intern or work experience to [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] as soon as possible. I expect to interview and select a candidate before the end of March.

Regards,
Larry McKay, Head
UT Earth & Planetary Sciences
865-974-5498