Dear Emory Library School Alumni,

This brings news of the death of Dr. Marion R. Taylor, who was a faculty member in Emory’s Library School for many years. Many of us took classes from Dr. Taylor over her long career. She led generations of us from the mysteries of access points and analytics to the intricacies of title statements and statements of responsibility. She even guided students through the monumental transition to AACR2 (Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, 2nd edition). Cataloging and teaching cataloging gave her much joy.

The biographical note below was prepared by her family for inclusion in the bulletin for her memorial service. That service will be held in the Little Chapel at Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 11, 2012. The Little Chapel is located in Glenn’s Church School Building located at 1660 North Decatur Road, N.E., Atlanta GA 30307. Parking is in the Fishburne Parking Deck.

We have shared this news with all of our Emory Libraries staff colleagues and with our retired and otherwise former staff members for whom we have e-mail addresses. This means that there will be some duplication and there will be those whom we miss. Please feel free to share this with those with whom you are in touch – twice told is better than not told at all.

Sincerely,

Ginger Cain Smith, Library School Class of 1982

In Memoriam: Marion Ruth Taylor

Dr. Marion Ruth Taylor passed peacefully on January 22, 2012, after a brief illness.

She was born February 9, 1922, to Lou P. and Ruth Gordon Taylor. She was predeceased by her sister, Lucile Taylor Crenshaw, and brother, Frederick Taylor. She is survived by her sister, Arline Taylor Slack of Decatur; a niece, Virginia Slack of Atlanta; and six nephews, Pat Crenshaw, Decatur; Bob Crenshaw (Susan), Goldsboro North Carolina; Richard Taylor (Janna), Oak Ridge, Tennessee; Gordon Slack (Annie), Estes Park Colorado; Bill Slack (Pat), Lafayette Georgia; and Henry Slack (Ellen), Decatur. She also leaves behind thirteen great-nieces and -nephews.

Dr. Taylor taught cataloging as Professor at the Emory School of Library and Information Sciences for many years, until it closed in 1988. She earned her B.A. from Wesleyan College, M.A. from Emory University, and Ph.D. from Rutgers University, and was the Editor of the Atlanta-Athens Union Catalog (a catalog of all area libraries) from 1951 to 1963. A thorough professor, she would even check the footnotes in her students' papers for accuracy. She was elected to the honor society of library science in 1958.

During WWII, she worked for the FBI and for many years displayed a commendation signed by J. Edgar Hoover.  She was a member of the Atlanta Altrusa Club and named Altrusan of the Year in 1998.  She enjoyed working and solving puzzles all her life.

Donations may be made to Literacy Action, 100 Edgewood Avenue Suite 650, Atlanta Georgia 30303, or to your favorite charity.

--
James V. Carmichael, Jr.
Professor