De : Gretchen Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
À : [log in to unmask]
Envoyé le : Samedi 4 février 2012 19h50
Objet : Re: [ALISEadjunct] Fw: New Faculty Majority Summit (fwd)

Greetings all,
  A deeply disturbing read, and worth your attention.  Whether faculties like it or not, adjuncts and graduate students (whatever you call them, that is, non-tenured and non-tenure track teachers) are teaching the majority of university students at both the undergraduate and graduate level.  They are indeed the New Faculty Majority. This is a major shift from the late 1960s, when a student would not run into a graduate student or asst prof at the teaching level.  I know that I never did at UNC-CH or UM. And these were great universities, both for teaching and research.
  In terms of LIS education, undergraduate courses in information sciences are being tossed off to graduate students AFAICT as minor contributions to the university mission, as are introductory courses at the Masters level in the information sciences.
  I would love to see some numbers here - who at what rank is teaching who or what? Is ALISE collecting this data?

Ë  --gw