Hello All:

Given the recent discussions on the Maryland case of ranaviral disease in box turtles, I thought that I’d distribute this recent outreach information sheet produced by the Southeastern Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (SEPARC).  There are a few references missing, but in general, it gives a good overview of cases in the United States.  As you’re aware, Rachel also produced an excellent review last fall that was published in Viruses (http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/mgray/ranavirus/2011Publications/Marschang2011.pdf).

Cheers--- Matt

NOTE:  If interested, there are other information sheets related to herpetofaunal pathogens, disinfectants, and procedures for shipping samples to a diagnostic lab on the SEPARC website (http://www.separc.org/) --- look under “Products”.  The 2012 Information Sheets (#11-14) have not been posted yet --- these were on: (11) Ranavirus in Chelonians, (12) Mycoplasma in alligators, (13) endocrine disruptors, and (14) Viruses in alligators.  Until they’re posted, I have PDFs of these if interested.

Matthew J. Gray, Ph.D.
Center for Wildlife Health

University of Tennessee
274 Ellington Plant Sciences Building
Knoxville, TN 37996-4563
865.974.2740 [ofc]
865.974.4714 [fax]
http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/personnel/mgray.htm

For more information about Forestry, Wildlife and Fisheries at UTK,
Please visit
http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/ or call 865.974.7126