Dear GRC:

Please see the email below sent in November.  As many of you are aware, we are expanding Jason Hoverman's study (http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/mgray/Publications/Hovermanetal2011.pdf), and continuing to test the relative susceptibility of amphibians against a panel of ranavirus isolates.  To date, 28 species have been completed (please see the attachment).  We hope to complete 40 species total in 2012.  To conduct these experiments, we need egg masses (approximately 300 eggs, ideally from 4 or more individuals).  We will test any new species not included in the attached list, but especially need greater species representation in Bufonidae, Salamandridae, Scaphiopodidae and Hylidae for the comparative phylogenetic analyses.  Additionally, we need greater species representation for western North America and other continents.  If you are able to collect egg masses for these experiments, please let me know and I will send instructions, shipping supplies, and a FedEx account number for shipping.  Thank you very much for considering.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

All the Best,
Matt

From: Gray, Matthew James
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 6:04 PM
To: ' Jolianne Rijks'; 'Alex Hyatt'; 'Amanda Duffus'; 'Ana Balseiro'; 'Andrew Cunningham'; 'Andrew Storfer'; 'Angela Picco'; 'Annemarieke Spitzen'; 'April Johnson'; Brenes, Roberto; 'Britt Bang Jensen'; 'Craig Brunetti'; 'D. Earl Green'; 'Danna Schock'; 'David Lesbarreres'; 'Ellen Ariel'; Gray, Matthew James; 'Greg Chinchar'; 'Jacques Robert'; 'Jake Kerby'; 'James Jancovich'; 'Jason Hoverman'; 'Jesse Brunner'; Marja Kik; 'Matt Allender'; Miller, Debra Lee; 'Rachel Marschang'; 'Rolando Mazzoni'; 'Silvia Blahak'; 'Somkiat Kanchanakhan'; 'Stephen Price'; 'Sven Bergmann'; 'Tom Waltzek'; 'Trent Garner'; 'Yumi Une'
Subject: FW: Hoverman Ranavirus Paper

GRC:

Attached please find one of Jason Hoverman's studies that was recently published examining the relative susceptibility of 19 North American amphibian species to ranavirus.  Jason related mortality rates to various host characteristics using comparative phylogenetic analyses.  One of my PhD students is continuing Jason's work and will complete 40 amphibian species total by the end of summer 2012. Collectively, these results will allow us to make strong inferences on typical host characteristics associated with highly susceptible amphibian species.  Please see the second attachment for the species we've completed to date.  In order to conduct the comparative phylogenetic analyses, we prefer to have >4 species per taxonomic family.  The families with the lowest representation are Bufonidae, Salamandridae, Scaphiopodidae and Hylidae; however, greater representation in the other families (Ranidae and Ambystomatidae) we've tested, especially in regions outside of the eastern United States, would strengthen the final analyses too.  If you're able to send egg masses to us in 2012 for these experiments, please let me know.  We'll send instructions and pay for shipping costs!

All the Best--- Matt
Matthew J. Gray, Ph.D.
Center for Wildlife Health
University of Tennessee
274 Ellington Plant Sciences Building
Knoxville, TN 37996-4563
865.974.2740 [ofc]                [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
865.974.4714 [fax]                http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/personnel/mgray.htm

For more information about Forestry, Wildlife and Fisheries at UTK,
Please visit http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/ or call 865.974.7126