Re: question for the ranavirus group Hi Jolianne,
I don’t have much useful suggestionss I guess:

  1. Monitoring to keep track of the situation. --- Through investigation mass mortalities only to limit costs? Perhaps obtain and keep samples of frozen tissues for later. Viral DNA can resist for long time and reveal useful for further analysis.

2. Measures to minimize/slow the spread of the virus throughout the country --- Are there options besides communication of preventive measures to the public to minimize risk of transfer/introduction of CMTV (and other pathogens) by humans? Any tips regarding this communication? What hygiene protocols are being recommended in different countries? Perhaps control if there is any possibility to get virus dissemination through pet animals.

3. Studies leading to more insight into species at risk --- Would in vitro studies on fish/reptile/amphibian cell-lines provide some insight? The problem with cell lines is that usually can be infected with any type of ranavirus. So I don’t think one can learn a lot on species at risks using this approach, except if you test primary cell culture (not immortalized).

4. Measures to protect rare species --- What would such measures be? Is raising back-up populations of rare species in captivity one of them?  Perhaps also test on some laboratory frogs the potential benefit of recent antiviral drugs.

I am not sure if this helps, but I am happy to give more thoughts.

Regards,
Jacques