While that may have been well known among people working with disease issues, what I have found is that it isn't well known among many that work with box turtles as wildlife managers or other field studies, which is why I am happy that this story is getting such wide coverage.  A while back on another herp listserv, someone mentioned that they were seeing large numbers dying in their population and was asking if they should be concerned.  The surprise to me was the replies that said they shouldn't worry, sudden die offs are normal for box turtles.  There wasn't any initial response (other than Rich Seigel's) mentioning that maybe they should try to test for disease.

Scott Farnsworth
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Biological Sciences
Towson University