Rachel’s correct about the broad host range of ranaviruses.  However, on a practical note, in vitro studies will allow you to grow more virus for biochemical studies (sequencing, RFLP studies), examine viral protein profiles, examine ultrastructural effects by TEM, etc. so it is clearly of use.

How close was the sequence of this virus to other ranaviruses?  The comment in the paper was, I believe, that it was identical (or nearly identical) to the MWTV, but how did it compare  to other ranaviruses.  The problem with ranaviruses is that we have divided them into species based on the host infected and the sequence of the MCP (and other genes).  What we’ve seen is that many of the ranaviruses show sequences that are >90% identical to each other even though they infect different hosts and display unique RFLPs.  While this may be a valid way to define species, in other viral genera viruses that show a greater range of sequence diversity are placed within the same genera.  So although it may muddy the waters, perhaps what we have in ranaviruses are strains of the same viral species but with different biological properties, the same way that there is one species of influenza A virus, but many different subtypes.

Greg

From: Global Ranavirus Consortium [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rachel Marschang
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: question for the ranavirus group

Very difficult question. A few thoughts on some of your points:

1. Monitoring to keep track of the situation. --- Through investigation mass mortalities only to limit costs?

I don't think monitoring only mass mortalities will give you a realistic idea of where the virus can be found. Do you have any information on the situation in other parts of the country? We have been able to document ranavirus infection in Germany in a healthy-seeming pond, and similar has been done elsewhere.

3. Studies leading to more insight into species at risk --- Would in vitro studies on fish/reptile/amphibian cell-lines provide some insight?

I would strongly expect all ranaviruses to grow in basically all (vertebrate) cell lines offered at appropriate temperatures, including mammalian and avian cell lines. I do not think cell culture studies will tell you much about species specificity of a ranavirus. Transmission studies would be a more expensive and extensive possibility. We have been doing some work on sequencing limited portions of the genomes of ranaviruses from amphibians and reptiles to at least help understand relationships between these viruses.

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to contact me if you would like more info on our experiences here in Germany.

Cheers,

Rachel

--
PD Dr.med.vet. Rachel E. Marschang, Dip ECZM (herpetology), FTÄ Mikrobiologie, ZB Reptilien
Institut für Umwelt- und Tierhygiene

Individuals who have received this information in error or are not authorized to receive it must promptly return or dispose of the information and notify the sender. Those individuals are hereby notified that they are strictly prohibited from reviewing, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing or using this information in any way.