Members and friends of STC-ETC,

Save Saturday, October 27, 2012, for the Practical Conference on Communication (PCOC), Knoxville, 8:30am to 5:30pm.

The theme is "It's a Wild, Wild WIKI* World." The goal is to develop a knowledge base of (a) what other technical communicators do, (b) how they attained their position, and (c) what development they project for professional advancement.

We will feature speakers, group discussion, and workshops. Every participant will have the opportunity to share his or her experience (WIKI*) and to expand personal and professional networks. Ideally, we will record this knowledge base and build from it.

Why this direction? Things change; positions and responsibilities shift, evolve, appear, and disappear. We need to know "what is out there" regionally—as well as nationally and internationally, which we learn at the Summit, the yearly international STC conference. Learning locally from a colleague with whom you can converse in a small-group environment encourages questions and connections.

If you would like to speak to the three points above or organize a workshop, please contact me. Program development is underway.

If you have not been to PCOC recently, come back home and share. We have missed you.

Mary

Mary Ryba Knepper, 2012 PCOC Manager, STC-ETC

708.738.8178 cell

*WIKI:

From Wikipedia: Wiki wiki—a Hawaiian expression meaning "fast" or "quick," adopted by Ward Cunningham, developer of the first wiki software, WikiWikiWeb; also a backronym, meaning "what I know is." PCOC is wiki wiki in both senses: one day for fast learning; and sharing what we know, culminating in a WILI—"what I learned is."