The iSchool at Drexel
College of Information Science and Technology
The iSchool at Drexel University is seeking candidates for expected openings as Research Scientists and Research Engineers. Applicants with a Ph.D. in Information Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Library Science, or engineering disciplines are strongly preferred. Applicants with a M.S. degree and substantial experience will also be considered.
The Drexel iSchool is highly interdisciplinary, focusing on basic and applied research spanning applied information technologies, intelligent systems, visualization and data analytics. We are seeking candidates with research, development and/or programmatic experience in METADATA REPRESENTATION, KNOWLEDGE REPRESENTATION, and SEMANTICS.
Applications with experience in implementing solutions are particularly of interest. Salaries are competitive and based on the applicant's level of experience.
Successful candidates with have many, but not necessarily all, of the below skills:
· Development skills, 3-6 years of Java experience or equivalent; experience with Java platforms/technologies (J2EE, JMS, JXTA); experience with web service technologies (XML, WSDL, SOAP); enterprise level design and development using standard design patterns. Experience with semantic web services and service oriented architectures (SOA) a plus.
· Educational or work background in computing science, information science, library science.
· Experience with application frameworks (such as Struts2, Ruby on Rails, Django, Grails); relational databases (such as Postgres and MySQL); objected-oriented design and programming practices; understanding of software engineering tools, such as Eclipse, SVN, debugging tools, etc.; both Linux and Windows.
· Modest travel is travel required of all positions, including program review meetings and sponsor review meetings.
· Comfortable working independently and with others while developing code in a timely manner; organized, attention to details, team-oriented, self-motivated, result-oriented and highly committed with strong communication skills
· Note: U.S. Citizenship is required for some positions and certain positions may require a comprehensive security screening including a NACLC investigation.
· Design, implement and test information systems
· Write software, documentation and technical papers to meet sponsor requirements and deliverables.
· Assisting with federal and contract-based research; grant research and grant writing; and internal digital library projects.
The iSchool's view of information is broad, multidisciplinary, and practical. The College continues to evolve as an innovative leader in educating information professionals in the twenty-first century, combining high quality teaching and research in a broad, multidisciplinary, and collaborative environment. The ALA Accredited MS(LIS) degree is highly ranked, both overall and for specializations in information systems and digital librarianship. The Drexel iSchool has numerous basic and applied research projects. Sponsors include National Science Foundation, the Institute for Library and Museum Services and a variety of other organizations, including: Lockheed Martin, Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA), Advanced Research and Development Activity (ARDA), National Security Agency (NSA), Telcordia Technologies, MIT Lincoln Labs, Office of Naval Research (ONR) , Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), Naval Research Lab (NRL), US Army---CERDEC, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Drexel is a privately endowed technology university founded in 1891. With over 20,000 students, it has one of the largest undergraduate cooperative education programs in the nation, with formal relationships in place with over 1500 local, national, and multi-national companies. Drexel is located on Philadelphia’s Avenue of Technology in University City and at the hub of the academic, cultural, and historical resources of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan region. Philadelphia is also the midpoint of a mid-Atlantic technology corridor that stretches from New York City (100 miles north) to Washington, DC (135 miles south).
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=75289, or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for position number 4447.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The iSchool at Drexel is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
Program Coordinator, Course/Faculty Support
The iSchool at Drexel
Office Phone (215)895-2485
Office Fax (215)895-2494