Dear Colleague,

I would like to inform you about our summer 2012 field school, the San Gemini Preservation Studies Program, now in its 13th year, which is dedicated to the preservation of cultural heritage and offers students the opportunity to study and travel in Italy. In particular, I would like to inform you about a course we offer on paper restoration:

Introduction to Restoration of Paper in Books and Archival Documents* (4 Units):

July 1st – July 28th

This course is an introduction to the restoration of paper in books and archival documents. It gives students an understanding of the nature of paper as a material, its history and the evolution of its use over time. The focus is on paper as a support media for writing and printing. The course also familiarizes students with the structure of books and their bindings.

Besides studying the nature of the material, the course investigates the most common agents of deterioration and the various approaches to restoration of paper. Along with the theoretical lectures, the program includes hands-on workshops comprising: exercises in traditional ways of paper making; testing, analyzing and identifying types of paper, inks, paints, pigments and printing techniques; disassembling books and their bindings, and; exercises using different techniques of paper restoration.

The course will include a field project restoring paper documents from the San Gemini Historic Archives and a field trip to Fabriano. To learn more about this course, please review the syllabus, which you can visit our WEBSITE.

If you know any students, scholars, or others interested in this type of study, please inform them about our program. We would appreciate it if you could list our program on your organization's website as an available educational resource.

We have a 2012 flyer that you may wish to post on your department notice board or forward to interested parties. You can print this from our website, on our About Us page. Please let us know if you have any problem printing and we can email you the PDF.

Thank you very much.

Cordially, Polly Withers

Program Coordinator

San Gemini Preservation Studies Program

If you no longer desire to receive news on our programs, please click on this link.