Don’t miss out on the early bird registration rate for the Fay B. Kaigler Children’s Book Festival!  Early-bird registration must be received by February 2, 2012, so get registered soon!  Registration information can be found here:  https://www.usm.edu/childrens-book-festival/2012-registration-rates.  Don’t forget that we also offer full-time student rates, Southern Miss faculty and staff rates, and for the first time this year we are offering a retired librarian/over 60 rate!

Early bird registration for all three days of the festival is $165 and for all retired librarians and attendees over 60 it is $150.  Single day registration is $100.  After February 2, regular registration for all three days will be $195 and for retired librarians and those over 60 it will be $180.  Single day registration will be $120.

Keynote speakers for 2012:

Over the course of a career that spans four decades, 2012 Medallion winner Jane Yolen has published over 300 books.  Reflecting Yolen's diverse interests and wide-ranging talent, these books span every genre, from non-fiction to science fiction.  Often referred to as the "the Hans Christian Andersen of America" for the sheer range and scope of her amazing body of work, Jane has dedicated her life to bringing the world to life for children and young adults through her writing.

Other outstanding authors and illustrators scheduled to appear include:

Margery Cuyler has written more than 40 children’s books, including children’s books, novels, poetry anthologies and non-fiction.  Her most recent picture books are Bullies Never Win, I Repeat Don’t Cheat! and Guinea Pigs Add Up.  She has received many honors and numerous state recognitions.  In addition to being a prolific writer, Margery has more than 20 years in the publishing industry with Holiday House, Inc., Henry Holt and Company, and most recently Marshall Cavendish.

Matt de la Peña is the author of four young adult novels, Ball Don't Lie, Mexican Whiteboy, We Were Here, and I Will Save You; all were named by the American Library Association's Young Adult Library Service Association to the Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers list or the Best Books for Young Adults list.  de la Peña is also the author of the 2011 picture book A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis. He resides in New York City and teaches creative writing at New York University.

Rebecca Kai Dotlich lives in Indiana and is the poet and picture book author of such titles as What is Science? (a 2006 Subaru SB&F prize finalist), and Lemonade Sun (an American Booksellers "Pick of the Lists"). Her work is featured widely in poetry anthologies and textbooks. Rebecca promotes children's poetry, giving presentations and workshops to students, teachers, librarians and writers.

Denise Fleming has written and illustrated over fifteen books for children, including Buster, Barnyard Banter, and In the Tall, Tall Grass.  Her book In the Small, Small Pond won a 1994 Caldecott Honor, and her collective body of works has won numerous other awards and accolades. The artwork in her books is filled with strong color and energy and is often created through papermaking and pulp painting done by Fleming herself.

Caroline Herring, the Coleen Salley Storytelling Award recipient, is not only a folk singer-songwriter, she is the quintessential storyteller. Ms. Herring is a native of Canton, MS and takes her southern heritage seriously while spinning her tales. "The Little House Songs," Herring's latest project and sixth CD, is derived from Virginia Lee Burton’s The Little House.

Jennifer Holm has authored over twenty books, three of which have been awarded a Newbery Honor award: Our Only May Amelia in 2000, Penny from Heaven in 2007, and most recently, Turtle in Paradise in 2011. Her other works include Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf, the Boston Jane trilogy, and the well-known Babymouse series, illustrated by her brother Matthew Holm. She lives in California with her husband Jonathan Hamel, with whom she collaborated on the series The Stink Files.

de Grummond Lecturer Anita Silvey has been a fan and advocate of books for children and teens for more than 40 years, appearing on radio and television programs, and authoring her own books on the topic, including 100 Best Books for Children, 500 Great Books for Teens, and Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children’s Book.  Her latest venture is her Children's Book-A-Day Almanac blog.  You can learn more about her and her latest ventures at anitasilvey.com

For more information on the festival including tentative schedule and online registration, please visit www.usm.edu/childrens-book-festival

--

Teresa S. Welsh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Library & Information Science

Information Literacy in the Digital Age: An Evidence-Based Approach
by T.S. Welsh and M.S. Wright (Chandos, 2010)
http://www.neal-schuman.com/bdetail.php?isbn=9781843345152
http://www.woodheadpublishing.com/en/book.aspx?bookID=1987&ChandosTitle=1

British Summer Studies LIS Course, Summer 2012
http://www.usm.edu/slis/British.htm

Phone: 601.296.0528
Fax: 601.266.5774
http://www.usm.edu/slis/FacWelsh.htm